Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:27 AM   #1
drumerswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Diaper rash help - please!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but this is where I usually am on the forums so I hope it's ok to post it here.

DD has the WORST diaper rash I have ever had to deal with - and this is after 6+ years of diapers. Nothing I am doing has helped. She was in cloth when she got the rash so I switched her to sposies hoping it would keep the wettness away from her red skin and I didn't want all the cream I was using to get on her cloth diapers. I've also been using Arbonne diaper cream (which has always worked on my babies bums) and I am using Nystatin cream because the rash has now turned to a yeast infection. Today I plan to give her a baking soda bath (suggestion from a friend) and let her go diaperless for a little bit. I may even go to the Dr if it doesn't improve. This has been 4 days of this and there is no sign of it getting better. She isn't sleeping well and doesn't want to eat much either.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
OrganicWestCoastMama
Registered Users

Re: Diaper rash help - please!

Hi Mama,

You may want to try wicking dipes such as FBs (keeps the bum dryer). Also, your little one is around the age when new foods are added in - the rash may be a food allergy to something new in the diet.
OrganicWestCoastMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
mommieofpees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You might also want to try a new cream sometimes you can be using a cream fine for a while and then it will just stop working or even have the opposite affect. Try letting the baby get as much air as possible. i hope your LO gets better!
Old 05-31-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
JuddyDuds
Registered Users
Formerly: LINZnJED
seller

I was thinking the same thing, maybe a food allergy/ sensitivity. We've had to deal w/ major allergies w/ both my boys. As far as creams, the best one I've tried was Weleda baby calendula diaper rash cream. Works really well for us but you might not be able to use it w/ cloth. ?? I'm convinced lots of problems are due our food though. I could go on and on about experiences in our family!

JuddyDuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
jchammonds
Registered Users
seller
seller

We had a terrible time with a yeast rash when Fletcher was 4 months old. No regular creams worked, Nystatin seemed like it was going to help for a couple of days and then it got worse again. Lotrimin is what finally helped. It took about 10 days of treatment to completely get rid of it, but we could tell a big difference after a couple of days.

Also, make sure you're disinfecting your diapers. I used 2 full cups of vinegar in a really hot wash.

Like someone else suggested, a diaper that wicks moisture away would be good to use or use fleece liners.

You can also give your LO probiotics and yogurt to help get some good bacteria back in her system.

Good luck!

Spot's Listings - Newborn / Small Wool and Diapers
jchammonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
canalian
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sounds like a combination of things going on. If she is not wanting to eat, she is probably ill and dealing with a virus or food sensitivity which would cause or contribute to the rash...or even teething.....then the yeast get in on the act and a party breaks out. Lots of baths (yes to some baking soda in them) to keep her really clean in a gentle way and then lots of air time and then apply the antifungal cream. Keep doing this until it is cleared. I would avoid the diaper cream with zinc oxide as I don't think they are helpful once a hard core rash is present. I think they stop the skin from being able to breath and heal.

Disinfect the dipes too...vinegar,sunshine or even some bleach. Oh and yeast can take awhile to get rid of...a lot longer then a few days sometimes.

Last edited by canalian; 06-01-2010 at 12:11 PM.
canalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Nickel+3
Registered Users
Formerly: nickel+2
seller

My Mood:

I hope she feels better soon. I would suggest a lot of naked time and very minimal acidic foods.
#4 due in October!
Nickel+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
drumerswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies!
Today she seems MUCH better! I gave her a few hours of naked time yesterday and I slathered her bum in the Nystatin and barrier cream all yesterday, last night and today. I know what caused the rash...she had a little poop/wet fart (sorry I know TMI) in her sleep the other night and I didn't smell it or discover it until the next morning so she slept with it right on her bum which gave her the initial rash which just got worse from there. Thankfully she seems to be doing better today and I will be giving her naked time again later this afternoon after her nap.