Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #1
nicole999
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tell me how extended breastfeeding works....

I was planning on weaning my LO when I returned to work full time (he will be 11.5 months old) but now feel like I would to continue Bfing until he self weans. I need information on how other moms manage to continue BFing their toddlers when working. How does it work? Do you BF in the morning and evenings and feed solids and homo milk at day care? Do you pump while at work? Do you provide BM for your LO to drink at daycare instead of homo milk-and if so in a cup or bottle? For those of you extended BFing are you still doing night feedings past 12 months? Is your LO eating alot of solids and suplimenting with BM or the other way around?

Advertisement

Wife and best friend to loving DH , and mama to DS #1(4yrs) and expecting DS#2 (19/9/14

Last edited by nicole999; 05-31-2010 at 12:09 PM.
nicole999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
konayossie
Registered Users

Re: Tell me how extended breastfeeding works....

Hi, I've just entered the realm of EBF, but I'll tell you what I have done/plan to do when I return to work in the fall (I'm currently back home for the summer).

DS turned 1 at the first of April. I teach and continued pumping at work till I finished school a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to be sure and keep my supply up even though he had turned 1 and so it would be fine to give him cow's milk at DC. Therefore, I just continued taking pumped breastmilk to daycare for my son (and he mostly continued refusing to drink anything........but that's a whole 'nother thread topic). He used a bottle at DC, but he uses a sippy cup at home. DS has been a major reverse cycler since I returned to work, and so far he's still doing that because he's been ill off and on since I've been finished with work :-(. Don't be surprised if that happens with your LO when you return to work.

When I go back to work in the fall, I am hoping DS will be down to just mainly comfort nursing rather than lots of nutritional nursing (which he definitely still is getting most of his calories via nursing now) and I can put the pump away or at least maybe pump less frequently. I'm also hoping to get pregnant, so who knows how that will effect all my plans . . .

I hope some more experienced mamas will weigh in since I could use the insight on whether to pump/not to pump down the road.

I'm glad you're thinking about EBF! I was always one of those who thought EBF was gross till I actually BF myself (I know, I know ), but now I can't imagine cutting DS off just because he turned one! He still loves it SO MUCH and it's a major part of his nutrition right now!
konayossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi! I pumped at work (full-time swing shift) until 20 months. Then she nursed when I was home & drank regular milk or rice milk or water & ate food when I was at work. Now she just nurses 1-3 times a day (2.5 years old).
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #4
twogirlsmama
Registered Users
seller

I'm so glad I found this thread! My lo will be 1 in June, and I plan to nurse until she self weans. I am home with her for the summer, and she is nursing 5-6 times/day, but I'm also hoping to be rid of the pump when I return to work (I teach) in August. I have a large supply of frozen milk, so I guess I'll just send that with her until I run out (she has a dairy/soy allergy, and we haven't determined what we'll do after that). She takes breast milk from a sippy cup when I'm not with her, but I am excited to hear from other WOHM's who have EBF'd. (would also love to know what you give your lo's besides breastmilk, but that's a whole other thread...) Will be checking back!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole999 View Post
I was planning on weaning my LO when I returned to work full time (he will be 11.5 months old) but now feel like I would to continue Bfing until he self weans. I need information on how other moms manage to continue BFing their toddlers when working. How does it work? Do you BF in the morning and evenings and feed solids and homo milk at day care? Do you pump while at work? Do you provide BM for your LO to drink at daycare instead of homo milk-and if so in a cup or bottle? For those of you extended BFing are you still doing night feedings past 12 months? Is your LO eating alot of solids and suplimenting with BM or the other way around?
I became a sahm when dd was 10 months old, so I didn't have to worry about working. But if I had, I would have stopped pumping for bottles while I was away after she turned 1; mostly because I just hated pumping. I would have had her drink cow's milk from a sippy while I worked and then nursed her when we were together. I nursed dd at night until she was 18 months old. And then I wanted to sleep!!!! so we night weaned. This was also the time when we stopped full time cosleeping and she began to spend the majority of the night in her room. We just started actual weaning today. Dd was still nursing a lot and supplementing with solids at 1 year. Up until about a month ago, I would say she got about half her nutrients from bf'ing and half from food. Weaning may take us a while.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My toddlers only nursed a handful of times a day (2-3?) so I didn't need to pump or anything. They also drank cow's milk.

GetSafeScents.com- New Spring/Summer 2014 catalog is out!
Join Scentsy | Scentsy Closeout Section
Follow me on Instagram: @SarahB00)
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
BabyCentric
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD turned 1 2 weeks ago so I finally stopped pumping at work. She eats mostly solids when I'm at work and nurses when I'm at home. I think now nursing is more of a comfort/supplement to her diet. We also moved her from our bed (where she would nurse continuously) to a crib. She nurses anywhere from 2-3 times a day (on days I work), to 5 or so when I'm off.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
jadefaerie
Registered Users

You might want to pump for the first month or so until you've settled into your new routine, but after 1, LO should be able to "get by" with other foods (if they're eating them--my second one wasn't...) while you're at work. You can definitely send BM to daycare if LO takes a bottle (mine never did...)

Your body should settle nicely into making milk at the right times (morning, night) once you've gotten through the initial period. You may have some oversupply the first week or so, which is where pumping might help. Just make sure you let DC nurse whenever you both feel comfortable when you're together and nature should take care of the rest. If you feel like your supply isn't keeping up on the weekends, you can do Mother's Milk Tea and oatmeal or whatnot to give it a boost when you're home.

Heck, if DC drinks the BM at daycare and you're happy to pump at work, you can keep that up as long as you like!

For perspective, I was separated from my kiddos during the week for a few months when DS was 2.5. He was still nursing, and we went from nursing once or twice a day to just nursing on the weekends, no problem. Eventually he didn't nurse every weekend, still worked ok. Once he skipped more than one weekend, though, I decided to wean since I was pg with #3 and anxious for a short break after 4.5 years straight nursing the older 2!
Mom to DD (6/21/05-c/s) and DS#1 (5/2/07-HBAC #1) and DS#2 BORN! 7-21-10 (his due date!!) HBAC #2!
jadefaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #9
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

With my first, I stopped pumping when she turned a year old. She didn't drink the milk anyway (never took a bottle), so I was pumping for my comfort and supply only. I continued to nurse her on my lunch break until 21 months, so I was not going all day with full breasts until then. Otherwise, she learned to drink cow's milk from a cup and ate table food at daycare. Even at 2 years old, she was still nursing 5x per day around my work schedule, including overnight. She has always been very attached to nursing. Even today, at 4 years old, she is still nursing 1-2x per day.

With my second, I am still pumping for her at 13 months but I have cut out the lunchtime nursing. She has a different personality and it was just disruptive to her day, and she is not as attached to nursing like my first was. I know she is old enough to have cow's milk if we want, but since I'm still pumping, I may as well give her my milk. She still drinks it in a bottle at daycare, but we are working on a cup. I am pumping for her because I want to make sure to keep up my supply so that she doesn't get frustrated with nursing while we're together. It is important to me to nurse her until at least 2 years, so I don't want to do anything that might influence her to quit earlier than that. She's at a stage right now that if I were so inclined or wasn't careful, it would be easy to wean her, so I am taking extra precautions not to. She also nurses at night, and in fact it's some of her best nursing time because she's not distracted by other things going on around her, so I won't night wean until at least 2.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
nicole999
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess I'm just worried about my supply becasue we don't co sleep so I can't nurse alot at night and function the next day but I know that's the best way to keep supply up.
Wife and best friend to loving DH , and mama to DS #1(4yrs) and expecting DS#2 (19/9/14
nicole999 is offline   Reply With Quote