Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ear Infections

my 4 year old had an ear infection last night (i think)- he was holding his ear and said it hurt, he was crying during the night, etc.

but he was fine this morning. do ear infections go away on their own? is it dangerous not to treat them? do they usually give antibiotics for an ear infection?

thanks mamas

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
isaacsmum
Registered Users

Re: Ear Infections

Ear infections can be viral or bacterial, so some of them do go away without antibiotic treatment. It isn't very easy for a doctor to determine which are viral and which are bacterial, so they often prescribe antibiotics for all of them (especially for very young children). HTH
isaacsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for the info. (i have an Isaac too )
Old 06-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My Ped told me that about 90% of ear infections are viral, but like the pp mentioned they can't really determine if they're bacterial or viral, so they prescribe an antibiotic anyway. I personally have never taken my child to the dr for an ear infection; just treated it with some warm olive oil and compresses, but I feel like most of ours have been very mild.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #5
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think I read somewhere that most viral infections will resolve on there own within 24-48 hrs. I usually will wait at least that long before taking them in. I have only taken dd (4) in once because it wouldn't go away.

Also, they tend to hurt worse at night, or anytime they are laying down, due to the pressure build up in the head. Its similar to when you lay down, and your nose plugs up but will be fine when up and about.