Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
this is why i should not watch TLC..

I'm home sick today trying to get rid of this mastitis and of course I check to see what's on TLC...and it's "a baby story". Ugh. The first 2 minutes? Mom being INDUCED at 34 WEEKS because her fluid is low! aaaaaaaah. Why on earth would doctors induce and create a premature infant just because of an ultrasound which everyone knows is unreliable?! Oh right, because a woman's body is a hostile, dangerous environment that no baby needs to stay in longer than they deem medically necessary. *sigh* I didn't watch the rest, but I bet I know how it turned out.

sorry for the rant!

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
Laura Lou
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: this is why i should not watch TLC..

everybody I know who's been pregnant in the last 5 years or so has gotten induced. and then usually had complications and c-sections. I don't like the pattern. -1st baby due in sept
Laura Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
katina128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd rather have a preemie than to bury another one. I would probably do the same because I'm scared to death of losing another one.

WAHM behind Lullaby Diapers Portfolio

katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
lostiejen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, that sucks. And putting it on TV is part of the problem. Every little thing you see feels like a very real possibility when you're pregnant. My husband actually used the parental lock option against me. I am no longer allowed to watch TLC, Discovery Health or any other channel that features shows about birth or pregnancy.

It gets a little frustrating but mainly I'm grateful. Those shows can be really stressful. Just try to relax and put it out of your mind - if you can - mama.
lostiejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
jenvbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm with Katina. I haven't lost a baby like her, but I have had IUGR issues along with low fluid. IMO it's safer to have a baby on the outside born early then on the inside if there's a issue.
jenvbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
MyFourStars
Registered Users

My Mood:

Agreed. I was induced at 32w6d with ds2 because my fluid was at 2cm. He was MUCH smaller than his brother born at 32w and because of the low fluid he took longer to transition to outside life.

I think that MOST of the time those shows are way out of control. Being 39 weeks is NOT a medical reason for induction for pete's sake. But on rare occasion they have valid reason.

My Twilight FanFic-Finding Rose *Updated Chapter 13!*
MyFourStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
meganne79
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenvbear View Post
I'm with Katina. I haven't lost a baby like her, but I have had IUGR issues along with low fluid. IMO it's safer to have a baby on the outside born early then on the inside if there's a issue.
Ditto! My first would NOT have survived if I had not been induced when I was. I'm going on my rant now but I get tired of all the general statements about how our medical system is out to get everyone. I agree there are far too many inductions and c-sections but there are many that are in fact in the best interest of the mom and or baby. Low fluid can be extrememly dangerous for a baby and it can in fact be diagnosed by ultrasound. There are all kinds of ways to birth a baby (and care for a pregnancy). Each mom needs to make their OWN decision what is best for them and their family. Some choose to do this on their own, others with the guidance of a doctor. Neither is wrong but those of us who make the decision to seek medical care (and follow the advise of our provider) are not always doing the wrong thing for their baby.

FTR - I am well entreched in the birthing community and do think there is a TON wrong with our obstetrical practices but what is right for one, is not necessarily right for another. I do not homebirth nor will I catch homebirthed babies but this is the result of the fact I would have died within 5 minutes had I been at home. I am however a huge proponent of natural hospital birth and am very happy to let my patients be as much as I can when they decide this is what they want. I just don't think one can judge unless they know the entire situation.

RN/CNM Student/SAHM to Maggie 03-23-06,
Nora 04-06-09, and Ben 05-03-11
meganne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:29 PM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I realize that there are reasons for induction, but I don't think that just because the fluid is low at one ultrasound is a good reason, and I think that research would back me up on that.
IUGR is totally different. Of course there are instances when induction is needed, but we all know there are way too many done. I haven't read anywhere that low fluid in and of itself is a major threat to a baby.

Anyway, many women don't even have ultrasounds late in pregnancy- I know I didn't. But if I had, maybe they would have said my fluid was low also. It seems that women who get many ultrasounds are often told that their fluid is low, and women who don't- well, their babies are just fine. Is it because their fluid is always in the "safe" range? That doesn't seem to make sense statistically.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
Dorothy'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm watching this right now... and there was more than one ultrasound done, plus there had been placental bleeding in the second tri. such that they felt the placenta was not supporting the baby. IMO, in that situation, I would likely agree to induction as well. I work way too hard to have my living children to risk anything.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For instance, this website says that the risks associated with low amniotic fluid in the third trimester are preterm birth and cesarean delivery.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...hydramnios.htm

The other problems are delivery-related problems that could probably be helped by waiting for labor to start on its own and managing it in an evidence-based way.

On the show they did not seem to be concerned with IGUR- just that the fluid was low and they had to get the baby out.

Umm....so they are making sure that those things are going to happen by diagnosing low amniotic fluid, inducing preterm and then probably having a cesarean. What kind of sense does that make?