Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #21
linzbear
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: this is why i should not watch TLC..

If anything I think we can all agree that today's was an unnecessarian.

"She's been in labor for a long time now [6 hours], baby is developing a little bit of a conehead, and she's not progressing well, so the baby may be too big or there may be an obstruction, so we're going to go ahead with the c-section"

Baby weighed 7lbs 11oz.

Advertisement

ExtBFing, ERFing, CDing, bedsharing mama to Lucas (2-21-09), Gabriel (4-16-11), Elliot (1-17-14), and loving wife to Rodd
linzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #22
meganne79
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sustone View Post
I'm an RN and neither I or my fellow nurses or docs are out to get our patients. We always want what is best for them. It is easy to think you know the full scope of what is going on medically but you don't. No one wants to see babies born ill or babies die- no one wants an unnecessary csection- it is so much more of a liability on the docs for them to deliver surgically vs vaginally. If the country was not so "SUE happy" then the docs could probably make different decisions but it is not the world we live in and they must do what will end with a healthy mom and baby.
Ditto this mama! From another RN, thank you for saying this!

RN/CNM Student/SAHM to Maggie 03-23-06,
Nora 04-06-09, and Ben 05-03-11
meganne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #23
EcoGlo Minerals
Registered Users
Formerly: KT Naturals
seller

Quote:
I'm an RN and neither I or my fellow nurses or docs are out to get our patients. We always want what is best for them. It is easy to think you know the full scope of what is going on medically but you don't. No one wants to see babies born ill or babies die- no one wants an unnecessary csection- it is so much more of a liability on the docs for them to deliver surgically vs vaginally. If the country was not so "SUE happy" then the docs could probably make different decisions but it is not the world we live in and they must do what will end with a healthy mom and baby.

EcoGlo Minerals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #24
*~Melissa~*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Agreed! And thanks from another L&D RN!
Reesie's Ribbons and Blooms -hair accessories for your princess!
*~Melissa~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #25
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.glorialemay.com/blog/?p=60
Old 06-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #26
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had 2 c-sections (not for low fluid) and it really bugs me when people act like a c-section is the end of the world. Did I go into it asking for one? No. I honestly would love to have a nice natural homebirth, but it's not for everyone. What matters is that my babies arrive safely. I trust my doctors, or else I wouldn't go to their practice. I probably would've been one of those women who died in childbirth 150 years ago, and am so thankful for medical advances.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #27
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been induced 4 times for low fluid and will probably be induced again with this one- my U/S to check fluid start tomorrow at almost 37 weeks- my earliest induction was at 38w 2d- my latest was 41w 3d- only one of my boys was born by section and it had nothing to do with the induction.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #28
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had to be induced. If I had stayed pregnant much longer my baby and I would both have probably died because my blood pressure was spking at like 190/100.

With babies number 2 and 3, I was able to control my blood pressure with diet and bed rest.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #29
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennym91005 View Post
OP- do you have ANY medical background?? by the sounds of it, you dont. i have said this before and i will say it again, docs and nurses are not out to get their patients. they do have their best interests in mind, believe it or not. some internet research does not equal the years of schooling and training someone in the medical field has
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganne79 View Post
Ditto this mama! From another RN, thank you for saying this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Melissa~* View Post
Agreed! And thanks from another L&D RN!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganne79 View Post
Ditto! My first would NOT have survived if I had not been induced when I was. I'm going on my rant now but I get tired of all the general statements about how our medical system is out to get everyone. I agree there are far too many inductions and c-sections but there are many that are in fact in the best interest of the mom and or baby. Low fluid can be extrememly dangerous for a baby and it can in fact be diagnosed by ultrasound. There are all kinds of ways to birth a baby (and care for a pregnancy). Each mom needs to make their OWN decision what is best for them and their family. Some choose to do this on their own, others with the guidance of a doctor. Neither is wrong but those of us who make the decision to seek medical care (and follow the advise of our provider) are not always doing the wrong thing for their baby.

FTR - I am well entreched in the birthing community and do think there is a TON wrong with our obstetrical practices but what is right for one, is not necessarily right for another. I do not homebirth nor will I catch homebirthed babies but this is the result of the fact I would have died within 5 minutes had I been at home. I am however a huge proponent of natural hospital birth and am very happy to let my patients be as much as I can when they decide this is what they want. I just don't think one can judge unless they know the entire situation.
I just want to stand up for the doctors and nurses. Are inductions sometimes un-necissary? Yes, of course. I am not a supporter of elective induction just because someoen wants their baby born on a certain day or they are "tired of being pregnant." But sometimes they ARE necissary, as I said in my last post, Chrisitian and I probably both would have died 150 years ago.

And not all doctors/nurses are induction happy. Before I was as educated as I am now, I actually asked my midwife for an induction with DS2, because my DH was home for just a week before heading back out to work, and I wanted him there for the birth. I was 39 weeks. She told me No! She said there was no medical reason to induce, therefore she whouldn't.

And as other poeple said... that woman had had several ultrasounds and there are very real risks to having low amniotic fluid.

God bless.

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #30
Pikemommy
Registered Users
seller

I LOVE that most of the mama's commenting on this are being supportive of the medical community! It really bothers me when most of the talks on here lead to bashing Dr's and other staff because apparently the ONLY way some women feel to have a baby is at home. It is not the ONLY way, is not always the RIGHT way, and is up to the woman having the baby. I don't bash midwives and woman who have homebirths, so why do so many of them feel the need to attack those doing it the other way?
S 3/15 7lbs 15oz 20.5in
Pikemommy is offline   Reply With Quote