Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #111
K-Murph
Registered Users
Formerly: yuja
seller

My Mood:
Re: who do you know that refuses to BF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy_dandy View Post
I said that much grosser things have come out of my body than milk. No one had a response to that!
I'm soooo going to use that line the next time someone says BFing is gross!

Advertisement

K-Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #112
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know many bfers personally in my area. The ones who went straight to formula just did it and I didn't question it. I think it's a personal choice and I try not to pry into it.

I might not agree with their choice to not even try, but they also didn't agree with my choice to try and didn't pry into it.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #113
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy_dandy View Post
I said that much grosser things have come out of my body than milk. No one had a response to that!
Love this!

From a group of older ladies, I've heard the gross thing. Totally baffles me because it is the most natural thing to me.

Among ladies my age, excuses have spanned the spectrum from "I don't want to." to "I tried and I just wasn't making enough." I never feel it is my place to pry so unless someone really seems like they want to I don't say much.

I have a friend with a two-week old who's doctor (who is also my doctor) told her to just switch to formula because she is about to go through gall bladder surgery and will be on meds that will not be good for the baby. While I totally get that, I don't understand why she can't pump while post-op and then go back once her system is clear. Maybe I'm clueless. I told her that is what I would do, especially since I just survived pumping for 8 days while away from DS. This is her 3rd and she did have supply issues with her first two. With one of them though, her sister was preggo/nursing at the same time, so she gave her baby her sister's milk. I think that is awesome. We'll see. I'll totally support her whatever she decides.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #114
Eyelovemykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The women in my hubby's family do not breastfeed they claim that it's too hard and they also say "I tried and I don't make enough milk"
I think they expect to be making gallons of milk the first day.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #115
nktigger99
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbriil View Post
A girl I know from a mom's group told me she doesn't want to BF because she doesn't want her kids to need her that much.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe a so called mother would say that!!!!!!!!!
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #116
drewsmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLovely View Post

Sadly, I don't know anybody IRL that really breastfeeds, as in exclusive and full-term. My SIL combo-feeds for like six months, my aunt BFed hers for about six months. Everyone else, even my mom, jumped straight to formula. Thankfully, my mom's lack of breastfeeding was solely due to lack of information, and she's always encouraged me to nurse. In fact, she told me recently that if she was having babies today and could do it over, she'd have us at a free-standing birth center and nurse for at least a year, probably 18 months or so.

It does make me worry though, when I have my own kids. I'll attend LLL meetings beforehand and do everything short of selling my soul to the devil to nurse with no formula for at least two years, hopefully at least three. It's just not optional for me.
Um. I just want to say that I think you're very, very cool. Your sig and all.

My SIL always says she wants to nurse for "at least the first year" and then gives up after a couple of weeks. With #3 it was because she wanted to party again. With #4, she had cases of formula in the house before the baby was even born. I'm sure, somewhere in the middle of one of those newborn nights, she made a bottle and then never looked back. It just doesn't matter to her. She doesn't come from a breastfeeding family, though. So maybe that's why.

My family is pretty cool about BFing, but split pretty evenly between those of us who do and those who don't. One of my sisters is still nursing her 15-month-old, which is super cool. And very long for my family.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #117
jujuemo
Registered Users

Women vary in how they want to raise their child. My neighbor is almost the exact opposite from me: she scheduled a c-section, she didn't breastfeed, she started solids at 4 months, ect. But we are both great mothers to our babes.
jujuemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #118
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

I have to say that I'm disappointed by how many mamas here are referring to other women who "claim to have supply issues" or use that as their excuse. While I obviously don't know the women you're referring to, I have been in their shoes. I was heartbroken when I finally gave up breastfeeding my DD because of MAJOR supply issues that I had tried everything for. It really saddens me to think that friends of mine who were fortunate enough not to deal with that heartbreak might view that as just an excuse on my part. Why can't we ever just give other moms the benefit of the doubt?

Last edited by CASMama711; 06-23-2010 at 07:43 PM.
CASMama711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #119
laceymr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have no issues with anyone who tries and can't... it's those who decide early on (in pregnancy) that they will not BF that irk me.
This one left me scratching my head...It is sad, but I just don't get it.
One of my employees said that her sister would not BF because she was molested as a child. Now, I am in no position to speak on this since I do not have direct experience with molestation... but I cannot understand how molestation and BFing are related and I feel horrible that anyone feels that way.

It irritates me how sexualized BFing is made out to be. Now that I am BFing, the thought of my boobies being "fun" is actually humorous to me. They're FUNctional. Period.

Last edited by laceymr; 06-23-2010 at 07:55 PM.
laceymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:08 PM   #120
laceymr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Please don't. I love that my breasts are sexual. It's the fastest way for DH to get me turned on. In fact, several times I've woken up in the middle of the night to find DH *ahem* playing with the girls and I'm already so turned on I can't go back to sleep.

That being said, I've bf all my kids. Every woman (sis, SILs, mother, etc) in my family has breastfed, almost always until at least a year. It's very normal within my "circle" for women to breastfeed.

I think breasts can serve a dual purpose. So don't make them out to be just baby-feeders.
I read this after I posted my last comment so I just want to add... that yes, pre-baby, my boobies were all kinds of fun I know that I will love to have DH all over them again someday... but for now... and ANYTIME that a child is attached to them... they are baby feeders. I seriously have a ton of respect for people who can have dualistic minds but I see things very black & white and I think a lot of people are like that. FWIW.