Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #21
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: who do you know that refuses to BF?

My SIL though my brother somewhat tried to encourage her to give it a try. I don't recall her specific reasons, but I know she is a busy body and likes to be on the go, and not always w/ the kids.
One of friend friends BF her first baby, but not the second. She's bipolar and was on meds at the time that she couldn't BF while on the meds.

Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #22
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn_23 View Post
Hmm I meet patients all the time that say they "want to" and literally have the baby on the breast for ONE second and then refuse saying they don't "like it" . I've had some tell me their husbands or sig other's don't want them too cause the "boobs" are for them not babies uggh.

I've also had moms tell me that they aren't going to nurse cause they get wic and formula's free so they see no benefit to nursing.

I had one patient that had a history of rape and had issues with breastfeeding because of that which I found so sad for both mama and baby.

Umm I have a friend that refused to nurse because she wanted her baby to have "overnights" with gramma and literally started leaving the baby for whole weekends when she was a few weeks old. We aren't friends since we've had kids lol... just too much disagreement.

I've also had a few friends wean early (as in after a few weeks) to drink, lose weight, take meds to lose weight, to get pregnant, to take birth control to avoid pregnancy... a bunch of different reasons.

fortunately my family has always been very supportive UNTIL I got pregnant while nursing and now that is a whole different issue lol.
Wow, if my DH said my boobs were his and not the baby's I would tell him his penis is for peeing and procreating so plan for me to not touch it until I'm ready to make another baby.

My step sister never tried to BF because she wanted to drink.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #23
nicole999
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
Wow, if my DH said my boobs were his and not the baby's I would tell him his penis is for peeing and procreating so plan for me to not touch it until I'm ready to make another baby.
Wife and best friend to loving DH , and mama to DS #1(4yrs) and expecting DS#2 (19/9/14
nicole999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #24
kmm123
Registered Users

My best friend didn't b/c she has a history of anxiety and depression she knew having a baby would be a challenge to her mental health. She knew being the soul source of food would be a potential anxiety trigger -- especially at night etc. So she decided formula was the best option. Having grown up with her and supported her through many bad times I totally got this and thought she was smart to think ahead and try to avoid a spiral.

My mom and aunt both never so much as tried my cousin has no intentions of trying either. They all just prefer formula. DH's mom tried to BF her first it didn't work out and she FF all 5 kids. I dunno I don't really get all bent about it. I BF b/c I believe it's best, I think I do what's right for me and others should do what's right for them and since what they do doesn't impact what I do I dont' really care.
kmm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #25
BabyLove2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I chose not to breast feed either of my kids, I just wouldn't of felt comfortable doing it and i like that my husband could help with feeding also. I don't feel bad about not breast feeding at all. My girls are and have been strong healthy kids I think its just personal preference on whether or not to do it. I don't think anyone should judge someone for making the decision not to breast feed.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:45 PM   #26
Pauli
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wish all women would BF. It really is what we are supposed to do. Yes, there are times when it does not work out, but sometimes I wonder if it is just an excuse a lot of the time. I quit nursing my first son at 9mo b/c I started taking a medicine not compatible with it. In retrospect, I did not have to stop, but at the time, they thought it could cause damage. But, I currently nurse my 14mo

Anyway, to answer the question, I know one lady that said she thought it was gross to have a baby suck her boobs.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:48 PM   #27
mom2ls
Registered Users
seller

I've got friends who think its 'gross' or tried at the beginning, baby didn't latch the 1st time and gave up.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #28
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

My mother calls breastfeeding "a dirty habit". Luckily, she lives very far away from us and we don't see her very often. My siblings and I were born in the time when women just didn't breastfeed because formula was supposed to be superior and liberating for women, too. I think my mother bought into the marketing and never breastfed any of her babies even once.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #29
army_princess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

none of my friends or family have breast fed.

My mom did nurse us, my grandma nursed her kids. But no one that I can actually remember ever nursed. My sister tried but failed 3 times.

Reasons? Probably "formula is "easier" to use"

my reason for not nursing DS was he was a strong sucker, DD is the same. I also have forceful let down to the point it is painful sometimes and I also have over supply issues. Because of this I get blocked ducts and mastitis. SO even though I am still nursing DD I am struggling daily with it, I keep telling myself I REFUSE to formula feed her. Even if it means I am shaking, crying, sometimes screaming in pain while nursing her.

I recently talked to my grandma, mom and sister, they all had the same/similar issues. SO maybe it runs in the family? I have not asked my aunts, pretty sure they did not nurse though.
army_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #30
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

I think it's sad that people have such misconceptions about breastfeeding. My best friend just had a baby and I was there with her for the first few weeks. Because we talked for so long and because I was there to support her and help her learn to nurse she is successful now. She would have easily given up and gone to formula had I not been so adamant that she could do it. Her husband was a little harder to win over, but he's a pain anyway, so I just ignored him.

I have one friend who quit because it hurt, another who said that she wanted her husband to help nourish her child pretty sure this was never an issue for my husband, who found many other ways to bond with our son.