Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #41
new2allthis
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: who do you know that refuses to BF?

My step-MIL's neice (got that?) didn't bf because her "breasts are too small". Seriously?

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #42
crystaldawn_23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2allthis View Post
My step-MIL's neice (got that?) didn't bf because her "breasts are too small". Seriously?
funny when we have patients that say something like "I dont' know if I'll make enough milk because my chest is soooo small" They send me in... I have like NO chest when not nursing, like literally training bra style lol... I always just reassure them that breast size has nothing to do with nursing and milk production, just look at me Pregnant and nursing AND barely an A cup at this point.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #43
Riverleaf1772
Registered Users
seller

My friend's milk never came in, (a hereditary problem) so she gave up after 2 weeks and ff. Now watching me in the early days with dd and some of the marathon nursing sessions, shes "grateful" she wasn't able to breastfeed because she would have been trapped. She wouldn't have been able to handle it she says.

My other friend said her highly allergic child would have been allergic to her milk. In reality he was allergic to dairy for the first 3 years so if she had cut that out she would have been fine.

My sister bfd my nephew for 9 months and then the doctor told her she was "starving him" (used the ff charts I'm sure) so she switched to ff and ff her second child because she "didn't make enough milk".

My niece ff her first child because she was young and nervous. I am proud that I was able to be a resource and a support for her bfing her 2nd child (8 yrs later)! She loves it!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #44
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my BFF first got pregnant she was adament about not nursing because, in her exact words, "these are a playground, not a buffet"..........BUT! She went on to nurse for 7.5 months before switching to formula. I'm proud of her for making it that far, given her past issue with it.

I'm of the opinion that every mother should atleast try. We ALL know it's best for babies, so why don't we atleast attempt to give our babies the optimum nutrition? If it doesn't work out, then so be it. Trying and giving up is better than not even considering it because any amount of BM is better than none.

expecting our 2nd baby
girl next March

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #45
army_princess
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have worked with the LC nurses at the hospital baby girl was born at till she was 2 weeks old. I have talked to the LLL about it, I go to BFing meetings, they have LC from the hospital plus other moms who have breast fed, There is also the wic breastfeeding lady there, moms of multiples....no one has ever had someone like me....

I went to my doctor about it....he prescribed me acid reflux meds....I am already on AR meds and I know what AR feels like.....

I gave up trying to find out what is wrong, I just tackle the pain as it comes and work through it till it goes away
army_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #46
swedishmaiden
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn_23 View Post
funny when we have patients that say something like "I dont' know if I'll make enough milk because my chest is soooo small" They send me in... I have like NO chest when not nursing, like literally training bra style lol... I always just reassure them that breast size has nothing to do with nursing and milk production, just look at me Pregnant and nursing AND barely an A cup at this point.
Awww, that's great! I'm barely A cup as well (larger A while BF'ing) and no problems here, either! My mom is small, too, and had no problems BF'ing her kids, so it never occurred to me.

And hey, I'm enjoying the slightly larger cup size that BF'ing gives me!
swedishmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #47
hotjai21
Registered Users

My Mood:

My SIL, shes a pill all together and other then family functions or work related functions (our husbands work together) we have absolutly no contact with eachother. We includes my husband as well.... Anyways.. She thinks breastfeeding is disgusting and that I am disgusting for doing it. Back when we got along some what, if my infant spit up on her she would say something like "ewww gross jessica's dna!!" and make a big drama scene about it. She thinks its nasty to NIP and will even talk bad about people who do. Although I do and have around her.
hotjai21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #48
hotjai21
Registered Users

My Mood:

oh wanted to add... My daughter has a dairy allergy. I havent had dairy for over 9mo and that includes things made with dairy such as breads, pasta, etc. And we are still nursing. IMO it was all the more reason to nurse. My baby is allergic because dairy is made for cows. yes I love milk and could drink a half gallon a day by myself. But I know that it was made for a baby cow, not a baby human. So that has made me stick it out for her until atleast a year and then we will go from there. Even when she decides to test out those new teeth....
hotjai21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #49
Riley-Madison
Banned

My Mood:

to be honest. I am contemplating not doing it with my new baby. it was so hard to get my DD to eat and we ended up supplementing, and then my DH gave me a bunch of crap for it ( still does) and it eventually go to where I was so stressed that I couldn't nurse anymore

quite frankly Id rather skip all of the guilt and start out with formula rather than feel like a failure in the end...
it may be stupid to some. but its a real concern for me...
Riley-Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #50
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i had a friend that thought nursing was gross. after she brought her baby home from the hospital, she tried nursing and realized what a beautiful thing it was. she only nursed for a few weeks, but she said she was glad to have the experience.

FWIW...i think BFing is one of the absolute BEST things you can do for your baby. but i also think that it's a very personal decision. i am in the minority of people i know that BF past 3-4 months. almost everyone i know exclusively FF their babes. but i do not judge them or think badly of them. it's what works for them. and ultimately all that matters is that their babies are fed and loved and taken care of.
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote