Cloth diapers aren’t a new invention by any means. However, they’ve been taking a back seat to disposables since the 1940’s, primarily due to convenience.
However, in recent years, cloth diapers have been making a big comeback. What’s pushing this? For one, cloth diapers have changed drastically, meaning they aren’t the same cloth diapers our grandmothers used on our parents.
As parents now, we have so many different options to choose from, from brand to style.
Cloth diapers are also better for the environment (millions of disposable diapers pile up at landfills nationwide each year), eliminate harmful chemicals from our homes, reduce diaper rashes, and can save you money in the long run.
Why Should You Opt For Cloth Diapers?
I think we can all agree, if you have a baby, you’re going to need diapers, lots of diapers. The debate on whether or not you should choose disposables or cloth diapers is a big one, with many variables. And there are many things to consider before making a decision on what kind of diaper is right for you.
On one hand, disposable diapers are much more convenient as they don’t need to be washed. But they come with a slew of drawbacks as well.
Here’s what cloth diapers have over disposables:
- They’re eco-friendly because they can be washed and reused.
- They can save you money in the long run as you won’t need to replace them as often.
- They don’t contain harmful chemicals that could cause skin rashes and irritation.
- They greatly reduce the number of diaper rashes your baby may have.
If you’ve explored all your options and you’re convinced that cloth diapers are right for you and your family, then let’s explore some of the best cloth diapers on the market.
With so many options, though, you might find it difficult to find the best cloth diapers for you and your child.
Best Cloth Diaper Brands
We’ll share with you some of the top commercial brands of cloth diapers available and break down what each style means later on.
1. Thirsties Newborn All in One – Best Newborn Cloth Diaper
If you’re a new parent who’s also new to cloth diapers, choosing something convenient, like Thirsties Newborn (All-In-One), is a smart move.
These shrunk down diapers can be taken on and off in one simple step and are ideal for newborns who weigh anywhere from 5-14 pounds. And they are available in a variety of colors and prints.
- Trim-fit design
- Adjustable rise with snap down feature for umbilical cord (gives your baby’s umbilical cord room so it can heal properly)
- 4 layers of super-absorbent terry, microfleece liner, and waterproof exterior provide optimal leak protection
2. bumGenius Freetime All-In-One – Best AIO Cloth Diaper
This all-in-one diaper happens to be a personal favorite in terms of convenience and versatility.
The butterfly snaps on the front allow you to adjust the diaper’s fit to accommodate babies of various sizes, from 8-35 pounds, and the one-piece, one-size design is high quality.
- Overlapping semi-attached inserts allow you to adjust absorbency
- One-size to fit your baby from infant to toddler
- Made with soft material that is gentle on baby’s skin
3. GroVia O.N.E. – Best Nighttime Cloth Diaper
When it comes to nighttime protection, most cloth diapers on the market require a booster pad. GroVia O.N.E. doesn’t, which is why it’s one of the best overnight diapers you can buy.
If your baby wets their diaper frequently, especially at night, then this diaper is ideal for you.
Its absorption capabilities is second to none due to its construction, which includes an inner poly microfiber layer, a cotton and poly microfleece soaker, and a bonus 100% polyester microfleece liner.
All of these materials are sealed in with a waterproof poly-based outer layer.
- Customizable snap-in soaker can be adjusted for girls or boys
- Removable snap closures and hook-and-loop closures
- One-size diaper that can fit babies from 10-35 pounds
4. OsoCozy Unbleached Prefold – Best Cheap Cloth Diaper
If you’re on a budget, you’re going to want to choose a prefold diaper. And, in my opinion, there’s no better on the market than OsoCozy Unbleached prefolds.
Made from 100% indian cotton, this diaper is one of the softest you’ll find and gentle on sensitive skin.
- Includes 4 layers of absorbent fabric on the sides and 8 in the middle for optimal wetness-protection
- Available in two sizes. One for babies weighing 7-15 pounds and another for babies 15-30 pounds.
- Can be triple-folded and used as inserts in pocket diapers
5. Charlie Banana Reusable One-Size – Best Hybrid Cloth Diaper
This reusable diaper from Charlie Banana comes with disposable pocket inserts. Because it’s a hybrid, you can choose to purchase and use washable inserts as well.
If you buy the starter pack, you’ll get 12 washable, highly absorbent inserts that are ultra-soft on a baby’s skin.
- Inserts are loaded from the front for added convenience
- One-size fits all cloth diaper
- Two rows of snaps for optimal adjustments no matter your baby’s leg or waist-fit
- Made from organic materials
6. Rumparooz One-Size Cloth Diaper – Best Pocket Cloth Diaper
Yet another one-size option, this diaper from Rumparooz is designed to fit your baby from the time they’re newborns until they’re toddlers.
One of the best features has to be the snaps, which allow you to modify and adjust the diapers as your baby grows.
- Double inner leg gussets
- Ultra-soft inner microchamois wicks moisture away from your baby’s bum to prevent rashes
- 2 microterry inserts included can be combined to increase absorbency for babies who urinate heavily
7. Smart Bottoms Dream Diaper 2.0 – Best Organic Cloth Diaper
Made with organic cotton, which is safe on a baby’s skin, Smart Bottoms Dream Diaper 2.0 is one of the best natural diapers you’ll find.
This cloth diaper is also made with sustainable hemp, which is ultra-absorbent for optimal leak protection.
- No prep required (repeated washings for maximum absorbency) prior to use
- Made from natural materials that are safe on a baby’s skin
8. Bambino Mio Miosolo AIO – Best One-Size Cloth Diaper
The Bambino Mio Miosolo can be used for every stage and every mess. From an 8 pound newborn to their toddler years, your baby will be covered with an AIO that is easy to clean and maintain.
What’s more? The Miosolo has adjustable hook-and-loop fastenings and snaps to give you the ability to create an adjustable and comfortable fit.
- One-size diaper can fit your baby from 8 pounds and up
- Easy to clean with a pull out tab system that allows you to remove the soiled core from inside the diaper before tossing it in the washer
Frequently Asked Questions
How many diapers will I need?
The amount of diapers you need will depend on a few factors, including your budget, the age of your baby, and the type of cloth you choose.
Most parents choose to have a stockpile of diapers to prevent them from having to laundry every single day.
How long will cloth diapers last?
This depends on the type of diaper you purchase.
For the most longevity, you should buy one-size diapers as they are adjustable and will generally be able to fit your baby through every stage (newborn to toddler).
What type of cloth diaper should I buy?
When it comes to cloth, there are a variety of systems to choose from.
This can be great if you like having options, however, it could be somewhat overwhelming. Let’s break down the different types of cloth diapers available below:
- Prefolds & Flats: Prefolds are small pieces of fabric that have been doubled over, while flats are large, rectangular pieces of fabric (about the size of a dish towel)
Both flats and prefolds need to be folded, clipped, and covered with a waterproof shell. What makes these diaper types great is the fact that they’re simple to wash, fast to dry, and inexpensive.
- Fitted: these diapers are ready-to-wear and have snaps (or Velcro tab closures) around the waist. They also feature elastic leg openings for added comfortability. Fitted diapers are like prefolds and flats in that they are a two-step system and require a waterproof shell.
- All-in-Ones (AIOs): AIOs are the closest to disposables. They’re convenient and feature a waterproof cover and inner cloth lining for optimal fluid absorption.
No folding or inserting is required for AIOs, you simply toss the entire thing into the wash, making them super convenient, especially if you’re just transitioning from disposables to cloth diapers.
- Pocket Cloth Diapers: With a waterproof exterior and inside pockets for absorbent inserts, pocket cloth diapers are built for leak-protection. You can adjust the insert for different levels of absorbency and place the insert wherever your baby needs it.
- Hybrids: These diapers are quite similar to AIOs, as they also feature a waterproof shell. The big difference is hybrids have an inner cloth lining that can be removed.
When you’re changing your baby, all you need to do is pull the soiled insert/lining out and snap a clean one into the same shell.
When it comes to finding the best cloth diaper for you and your family, the decision is going to depend heavily on your budget and your baby’s needs.
You should also consider yourself when researching diapers to buy. If you want a cloth diaper with all the benefits, but with the most convenience, then an all-in-one or a hybrid is the way to go.
Just remember, while cloth diapers can be a hefty investment upfront, they can save you money (and the environment) in the long run because you won’t be needing to replace them as often.
Have you tried any of these brands? Be sure to tell us about your experience in the comments below.