If you’re considering cloth diapering your baby, you’re not alone. Many parents are switching to cloth for environmental, financial, and health reasons. However, getting started with cloth diapers can be overwhelming, especially when choosing the right accessories.
From diaper pails to liners, a variety of cloth diaper accessories are available on the market. But which ones do you really need?
This article will discuss the best cloth diaper accessories every parent should have. Whether you’re a seasoned cloth diapering pro or just starting out, these accessories will make your cloth diapering journey easier and more efficient.
Diaper liners are a must-have accessory for any cloth diapering parent. They are thin, disposable sheets between your baby’s skin and the cloth diaper. They serve a few different purposes:
- They make it easier to clean up messy diapers by catching solid waste and preventing it from sticking to the cloth diaper. This means less time spent scrubbing and soaking diapers!
- They can help prevent diaper rash by creating a barrier between your baby’s skin and the cloth diaper. This is especially helpful if your baby has sensitive skin.
- They can extend the life of your cloth diapers by reducing stains and wear and tear. When solid waste is caught by the liner, it doesn’t get ground into the fibers of the cloth diaper during washing.
There are two main types of diaper liners: disposable and reusable. Disposable liners are made from materials like bamboo, cornstarch, or viscose. They are biodegradable and can be flushed down the toilet (although you should always check with your local sewage system to ensure this is allowed). Reusable liners are typically made from fleece or other synthetic materials and can be washed and used repeatedly.
When choosing a diaper liner, consider your priorities. If you’re looking for convenience and ease of use, disposable liners may be the way to go. If you’re concerned about the environmental impact and want to save money in the long run, reusable liners may be a better choice.
Here’s our picks for the 10 best cloth diaper liners.
Wet bags are essential for cloth-diapering parents who are always on the go. These bags are designed to hold dirty cloth diapers, soiled clothing, and other wet items, keeping them separate from your clean items. Wet bags come in various sizes, shapes, and designs, making them versatile accessories for parents.
When choosing a wet bag, consider the size and capacity you need. If you plan to use it for cloth diapers, ensure it can hold at least two to three diapers. Consider the material and durability of the wet bag. Look for bags made of waterproof materials such as PUL or TPU, which are easy to clean and prevent leaks.
Some wet bags come with additional features such as snap handles, zippered pockets, or double layers for extra protection. These features can be useful for parents who need to separate dirty and clean items or want to store other baby essentials in the same bag.
When cleaning wet bags, most can be washed in the washing machine with your cloth diapers. However, following the manufacturer’s instructions is important to ensure the bag’s longevity and effectiveness. Avoid using fabric softeners or bleach, which can damage the bag’s waterproof lining.
Overall, wet bags are a must-have accessory for cloth diapering parents. They provide a convenient and hygienic way to store dirty items while on the go. With so many options available, you will find a wet bag that meets your needs and style preferences.
Cloth wipes are a great eco-friendly and cost-effective alternative to disposable wipes. They are made of soft, absorbent materials such as cotton or bamboo and can be easily washed and reused. Here are some reasons why cloth wipes are a must-have accessory for cloth diapering:
- Environmentally friendly: Cloth wipes are reusable and reduce waste. They also don’t contain any harmful chemicals like disposable wipes.
- Cost-effective: Cloth wipes can save you money in the long run since you won’t have to keep buying disposable wipes.
- Gentle on baby’s skin: Cloth wipes are soft and gentle on the baby’s delicate skin. They also don’t contain any harsh chemicals that can irritate the skin.
- Easy to use: Cloth wipes can be used just like disposable wipes. Wet them with water or a gentle wipe solution, clean the baby’s bottom, and toss them in the diaper pail.
When it comes to choosing cloth wipes, there are a few different options available:
|Pre-made cloth wipes||Convenient, easy to use||It can be expensive and may not be as soft as homemade wipes|
|Homemade cloth wipes||Cost-effective, customizable||It may not be as convenient as pre-made wipes and may require sewing skills|
|Baby washcloths||Soft, gentle on baby’s skin||It may not be as absorbent as other options and may not hold up as well over time|
Overall, cloth wipes are a great accessory to have when cloth diapering. Consider trying different types of cloth wipes to find the best option for you and your baby.
Diaper sprayers are a must-have accessory for cloth diapering parents. They attach to your toilet’s water supply line and allow you to easily clean soiled diapers without touching them. Here are a few reasons why you should consider investing in a diaper sprayer:
- Efficient cleaning: Diaper sprayers are designed to remove even the toughest stains and odors from your baby’s cloth diapers.
- Easy to use: Attach the sprayer to your toilet’s water supply line, and you’re ready to go.
- Cost-effective: Diaper sprayers can help you save money in the long run by extending the life of your cloth diapers.
When shopping for a diaper sprayer, look for one made of high-quality materials with a strong, adjustable spray. Some sprayers have additional features, such as a shut-off valve or a spray wand holder.
A diaper sprayer is a great investment for any cloth diapering parent. It makes cleaning soiled diapers a breeze and can help you save money in the long run.
Here’s our picks of the 5 best cloth diaper sprayers.
A diaper pail is an essential accessory for any cloth diapering parent. It provides a convenient and hygienic way to store dirty diapers until laundry day. Here are some key features to look for in a diaper pail:
- Airtight lid to contain odors
- Large capacity to hold several days’ worth of diapers
- Durable construction to withstand frequent use
- Easy to use and empty
There are two main types of diaper pails: wet pails and dry pails. Wet pails are filled with water and a diaper-soaking solution, while dry pails hold dry diapers. Wet pails are not recommended due to the risk of bacterial growth and potential safety hazards. Dry pails are a safer and more convenient option.
When choosing a diaper pail, consider the size of your home and the available space. Some popular diaper pail brands include Playtex, Dekor, and Diaper Genie. Look for a diaper pail that fits your budget and meets your needs.
Here’s our top picks for the best cloth diaper pails.
Diaper creams are an essential part of any cloth diapering routine. They help soothe and protect your baby’s delicate skin from irritation and diaper rash.
When using diaper creams, it’s important to apply them correctly. Here are some tips:
1.Make sure your baby’s skin is clean and dry before applying the cream.
2. Apply a thin layer of cream to the affected area, covering it completely.
3. Don’t rub the cream in too much, which can cause further irritation.
4. Use a diaper liner to protect your cloth diapers from the cream.
Overall, diaper creams are a must-have for any cloth diapering parent. They provide a protective barrier that helps prevent diaper rash and keep your baby’s skin healthy and comfortable.
Cloth diapering is great, but it requires additional accessories to make the process easier and more efficient. From wet bags to diaper sprayers, a variety of cloth diaper accessories are available to suit different needs and preferences.
So whether you’re a seasoned cloth diapering pro or just starting out, explore the wide range of cloth diaper accessories available to find the ones that work best for you and your baby.