Washing cloth diapers in a portable washing machine is perfect for small living spaces, camping trips, or as an alternative when you don’t have access to a full-size washing machine. Portable washers are compact and can be moved and stored easily, they also do a great job at cleaning cloth diapers.
In this post, we will guide you through all the steps of washing cloth diapers in a portable washing machine, and don’t forget to throw your cloth wipes in there as well!
Preparing to Wash Cloth Diapers
Gathering necessary supplies
- A portable washing machine ( we used Giantex Portable Mini Compact Twin Tub Washing Machine )
- Detergent suitable for cloth diapers
- Water source
- Stain remover (optional)
Pretreating stains before washing your cloth diapers can help you remove tough stains effectively. You can use various natural or commercial stain removers to pretreat your cloth diapers. Apply the stain remover to the affected area and let it sit for a few minutes before washing.
Steps to Wash Cloth Diapers in a Portable Washing Machine
1. Rinse with a tub full of cold water, we used Tide 1/4 of the way to the 1 mark. Enough to cover the bottom scoop and run for 9 minutes on strong.
2. Drain the water.
3. Fill the tub with hot/warm water until cloth diapers are covered by water.
4. Fill the scoop 1/2 way to the 1 mark.
5. Set for 15 minutes, start machine
6. drain the water.
7. Spin for 1 minute.
8. Fill the tub to the top with cold water and rinse cloth diapers for 9 minutes.
9. Drain the water.
10. Spin for 1 minute
11. Drain the water.
12. Repeat steps 8 and 9 until the water runs clear.
13. Spin cloth diapers for 3 minutes.
Tips for Washing Cloth Diapers in a Portable Washing Machine
- You can put the portable washing machine right in your bathtub. If the hoses don’t fit your hookups, just use a shower head to fill the machine instead.
- Overloading your portable washing machine can prevent the cloth diapers from getting adequately cleaned. Fill the machine with enough water to cover the cloth diapers completely, with a little extra room for them to move around and agitate during the wash cycle.
- Choosing the right detergent is crucial to ensure that your cloth diapers are adequately cleaned and maintain their absorbency. Opt for a detergent specifically designed for cloth diapers and free of fragrances, enzymes, and fabric softeners. For us, we used Powder Tide
- Avoid fabric softeners as they can leave residue on the cloth diapers, reducing their absorbency and causing irritation to your baby’s skin. Avoid using fabric softeners when washing cloth diapers in a portable washing machine.
Portable Washing Machine FAQS
Can I use regular laundry detergent to wash cloth diapers in a portable washing machine?
- No, it’s recommended to use a detergent specifically formulated for cloth diapers, as regular laundry detergent can damage the fabric and affect the absorbency of the cloth diapers.
How often should I wash cloth diapers in a portable washing machine?
- It’s recommended to wash cloth diapers every 2-3 days to prevent bacteria buildup and maintain their effectiveness.
Can I use bleach to whiten cloth diapers in a portable washing machine?
- No, bleach can damage the fabric of cloth diapers and affect their absorbency. Instead, consider using natural or commercial stain removers to treat any stains.
Washing cloth diapers in a portable washing machine is an easy and convenient if you can’t access a full-size. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can effectively wash your cloth diapers just as well as a full-size washing machine could.